Off-Page Optimization refers to tips and techniques that can be used to improve the position of a website on the search engine results page (SERPs). While On-page Optimization has to do all with the content and coding on your website, Off-Page Search engine optimization (SEO) has to do with everything else that directs viewers to your website or website. Search engine bots also take into account the popularity of your website. (i.e. how many people are talking about your website.)
The Bots use this popularity as part of their algorithms to rank your website higher. Let’s look at it another way to get a deeper understanding. If your website is the most important and most informative that the world has to offer, people talk about it and share it with others. Word of mouth is a necessary and valuable source of advertising in any industry, and in the online world, it is no different, and search engines also recognize that too. Let’s look at what steps you can take to launch an effective off-page optimization campaign:
Anytime your URL is mentioned, that is a link to your site. The more links to your site, the better. What makes a link stronger is when your web pages’ Keywords are tied to the link. Google and other search engines crawl the internet to find the number of links pointing back to your web page and index them. Their algorithm then decides how to position different web pages. The age of the link also plays a role. Let’s say you get 1,000 friends to share your website a year ago, but since then, no other mentions your website.
Search engines then start to view your content as out of date. Link building is an ongoing process. Here are some tips to help your link-building campaign get off to a good start. Here is the problem, Link Building can be very quickly and is often abused, links are thrown everywhere without being relevant. Therefore, Bots now also measure the website source of the link too. If your link comes from a poorly rated site, this can actually have a negative effect on your site. Also do not throw around your link to irrelevant sites. Only that which relates to your site.
Crawling search engines use these human-edited directories to find (and categorize) websites. Also, be sure you get listings for all directories that are applicable:
- DMOZ – largest free directory. Used by Google to power the Google directory. It can take a long time (months in some cases) for an application to be approved.
- Yahoo Directory
- One Mission
When applying to these directories, comply with their instructions. Make it as easy as possible for their editors to approve your submission(s). Consider becoming an editor for some directories and you might get the ability to fast-track your own submissions.
Press Release Promotion.
PR submission in popular PR websites like.
Some of these services offer a free version and an upgrade. We find that upgrades only work for very few industries, so be cautious, The free version works fine for startup websites.
List Your Products on Social Shopping Networks.
This not only gets you links but it may lead to actual sales. As a result, these sites are.
A major Off-Page optimization SEO technique is social media marketing. Social media is a key tool for businesses helping to build and engage with a community of individuals worldwide. If you want to make your business, website, or blog popular, engage with people on multiple social media platforms. Social media presence will help grow your business and also help you get more backlinks. The top currently ranked social media sites are:
In addition, there are effective ways of setting up and using social media can be found on our Page dedicated to Social Media
Social bookmarking sites are another platform to promote your website. When you bookmark your webpage or blog post on popular social bookmarking websites, you gain high relevant traffic to your website, webpage, or blog. There are hundreds of Social Bookmarking sites that you can add your site to over time. Here are the biggest ones:
Additional Tips to Off-Page Optimization
- Don’t go Black Hat. Black hat SEO is the process of getting thousands of links back to your web page in a very short period of time. This used to work earlier but now, it is a sure-shot way of suicide for your blog/website.
- You can use software to help make it easier. We Choose Powersuite. This is because it is 5 software in one. All are dedicated to helping you identify and track your progress. Furthermore, you can target individual web pages that relate to your keywords. You will save hundreds of hours streamlining your work through the use of the software. In addition, you will avoid keywords, websites, and links that could actually penalize your website.
- Use different anchor texts. Having the same exact keyword-stuffed anchor text for all your backlinks is bad. It does not look natural to Google. It’s not practically possible for all your backlinks to have the same anchor text. So try to use different anchor text based on relevant comments on what your website is all about.
- Similar Niche Content, Blog, and/or Website. Try to get links from sites similar to your web page as these are the real natural links. A cooking blog will never link to a mechanic blog so you should keep this in mind when building your backlinks and only try to get links from blogs or websites relevant to you.
- Reciprocal Links. You can use search engines to find websites that might link to you. Send them messages if they are interested in trading links
- Search Engine Submission. Submit your website to the most popular search engines like Google, Yahoo, and MSN. Hence make it a practice to resubmit your website frequently like every other month if you are offering a lot of new pages and content.
Other tips that may work, depending on your industry
- Submit your articles in a high PR article submission directory. With links and keywords. Make sure your content is unique and of high quality.
- Question and Answer. Answering industry-related questions based on your keywords can send quality leads to your website from people actually interested.
- Video and Image Submission. If you want to make your videos popular, SEO your images and videos too. This is a powerful and hidden secret to Off-Page Optimization. Treating each video and image as separate items to optimize, will strengthen the number of hits and the overall reputation of your website. This is the ultimate goal of Off-Page Optimization
- Set up a search engine-friendly affiliate program. Offer commissions on sales of your product(s) for others to advertise your wares and link to your site.
- RSS news feeds. Publish company news through RSS syndication. Other websites pick up the RSS feed and publish your news story (which can include a link back to your site, of course).
- Expose Your Business through Local. Google is on a massive push towards local search; both desktop and mobile device search results have for some time now been influenced by location for queries where local content where it applies.
Consequently, Off-Page Optimization (SEO) is a long process and not a one-and-done type of process. It is wise to dedicate some time every day or at least weekly to increase your web presence through off-page optimization SEO. Therefore, we at Turnkey Web and Marketing are dedicated to assisting you in your SEO plans, so please feel free to contact us if you have any questions regarding this article.